World

Israel Intercepts Gaza Flotilla Off Cyprus, Türkiye Calls It Piracy

By Bosphorus News ·
Israel Intercepts Gaza Flotilla Off Cyprus, Türkiye Calls It Piracy

By Bosphorus News Geopolitics Desk


Israeli naval forces intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters off Cyprus on Monday, boarding vessels from a convoy of more than 50 boats that had departed the Turkish port city of Marmaris four days earlier in an attempt to challenge Israel's naval blockade of Gaza.

Türkiye's Foreign Ministry condemned the operation as "a new act of piracy" and demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all detained participants.

The interception took place approximately 250 nautical miles from the shores of Gaza and 167 kilometres from Cyprus, according to reporting by the Associated Press. Unlike the previous Israeli interdiction of a Gaza-bound flotilla in late April, which unfolded under the cover of night, Monday's operation was conducted in broad daylight.

Footage broadcast by flotilla participants showed armed Israeli troops boarding vessels and detaining people on board before transferring them to a larger Israeli navy ship.

Reuters reported that organisers said Israel intercepted 39 vessels from the flotilla. The convoy carried 426 participants from 39 countries, according to Reuters figures, though other tallies placed participation higher. The fleet had sailed from Marmaris on May 14, with Associated Press photographs documenting its departure.

Ankara's Response

Türkiye's Foreign Ministry issued formal statement No. 94 on May 18, describing Israel's intervention in international waters as "a new act of piracy" and calling on Israel to halt the operation and unconditionally release all detained flotilla participants.

The ministry said Ankara was closely monitoring the process in coordination with other countries and taking steps for the safe return of Turkish citizens on board.

Türkiye also moved into a joint diplomatic response with nine other governments. The foreign ministers of Türkiye, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Libya, Maldives, Pakistan and Spain issued a collective statement condemning Israel's assault on the flotilla, describing it as an attack on a peaceful civilian humanitarian initiative.

The joint statement called for the safety and dignity of all civilian participants and demanded the release of those detained.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan condemned the operation, describing the flotilla participants as "voyagers of hope" and calling on the international community to act against Israel's actions.

Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, speaking at a joint press conference in Berlin with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul during a separate diplomatic visit, described the interception as an open act of piracy that violated international law. Fidan also spoke by phone with Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares to coordinate on the safe return of citizens from both countries who were aboard the flotilla.

Israel's Position

Israel's Foreign Ministry said it would not allow any breach of what it described as the lawful naval blockade of Gaza, calling the flotilla a provocation.

An hour before the interception began, the ministry posted a warning on social media calling on all participants to change course immediately.

"Once again, a provocation for the sake of provocation: another so-called humanitarian aid flotilla with no humanitarian aid," the ministry said.

Israel has maintained a naval blockade of Gaza since 2007, saying it is necessary to prevent weapons from reaching Hamas and other armed groups. The Israeli military did not issue a formal public statement confirming the full scope of Monday's operation.

Cyprus at the Edge

Cyprus found itself at the geographic centre of the incident without being brought into the operational loop.

Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides said Israel had not informed Cypriot authorities in advance of its intention to intercept the flotilla. The interceptions took place well outside Cypriot territorial waters, at a point roughly 167 kilometres from the island's coastline, according to the Cypriot national search and rescue centre, which said it had received no distress calls from the area.

The episode placed Cyprus directly inside the geography of the confrontation, even though Nicosia said it had not been notified before the operation.

Cyprus has in recent months become a hub for Gaza aid coordination, hosting discussions on maritime corridors and serving as a logistics base for humanitarian shipments. Monday's operation brought that geography into sharper focus, linking Gaza's blockade, Israeli naval enforcement, Türkiye's response and Cyprus' position in the eastern Mediterranean.

IHH, Mavi Marmara and the Wider Flotilla File

IHH, the Turkish humanitarian aid foundation behind the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla, was among the key organisations linked to the new Gaza-bound convoy.

In the 2010 operation, Israeli naval commandos raided the Turkish vessel Mavi Marmara, killing nine Turkish citizens and one Turkish-American activist. The incident brought Türkiye-Israel relations to their lowest point in decades and led to a diplomatic rupture that took years to partially repair.

Monday's interception unfolded without reported casualties. Conditions aboard the intercepted vessels remained unclear for several hours after the operation began, as flotilla communications were disrupted.

UN human rights experts called for Israel to release the detained activists, adding a formal international human rights dimension to the dispute.

Israel designated IHH as a terrorist organisation following the 2010 incident. IHH contests that designation and describes its work as humanitarian.

The latest operation followed another Israeli interception of a Gaza-bound flotilla in late April 2026, when activists were detained in international waters near Greece before being transferred and repatriated. As Bosphorus News reported in its May 1 Eastern Mediterranean Strategic Brief, 59 activists, including Turkish nationals and citizens of more than a dozen other countries, landed at Istanbul Airport that evening following the earlier interception.

Monday's operation moved the flotilla file back to the centre of eastern Mediterranean security. It was no longer only a Gaza blockade issue. It had become a maritime confrontation involving Türkiye, Israel, Cyprus, European governments, Muslim-majority states and the unresolved legal battle over humanitarian access to Gaza.

Sources: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, joint statement of ten foreign ministers, Associated Press, Reuters, Al Jazeera, Times of Israel, Cypriot Presidency.