Eastern Mediterranean Strategic Brief | April 2, 2026
By Bosphorus News Geopolitics Desk
Diplomacy
Trump's prime-time address on 1 April offered fewer details than the White House had signalled. He said US core strategic objectives were "nearing completion" and vowed the military would "hit them extremely hard over the next two to three weeks." He made no mention of diplomatic negotiations with Iran, abandoning the framing he had used all week. Iran's foreign ministry spokesman called the ceasefire claim Trump had made earlier that day "false and baseless."
At a private White House Easter lunch, Trump told guests that "NATO treated us very badly, and you have to remember it because they'll be treating us badly again if we ever need them." The remarks were recorded and posted online before the White House removed the footage. NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte will visit Trump at the White House next week. Both NATO and the White House described the visit as long-planned.
Pakistan and China issued a joint statement on 2 April calling for a ceasefire, an end to attacks on civilian infrastructure and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar was in Beijing for talks with his Chinese counterpart when the statement was released. Pakistan has been relaying messages between Washington and Tehran.
Erdoğan addressed the AKP parliamentary group on 1 April and identified Israel as the primary cause of regional instability. "Every drop of blood spilled in this war will be a lifeline extending Netanyahu's political life," he said. He called for diplomacy and described Türkiye as "the voice of humanity and conscience." The speech reinforced Ankara's position as a party that condemns all sides' use of force while keeping communication channels open with each.
As Bosphorus News reported, Greece's National Intelligence Service released 123 declassified documents on 2 April from the 1953 to 1959 period, including intelligence bulletins specifically covering Türkiye, the Balkans and the Middle East. The EYP records document the transition of the two countries' relationship inside NATO from strategic partnership to active rivalry, with Greek intelligence reporting on the 1955 Istanbul Pogrom, Turkish military movements and early Cyprus tensions. The archive is the agency's second major declassification, following the 2024 release of Cyprus 1974 files.
NATO Cohesion
Trump's speech largely omitted NATO criticism, but his private Easter lunch remarks landed harder than the address itself. "NATO won't be there if we ever have the big one," he told guests. The remarks, which the White House removed from public view after they were posted online, confirmed that Trump's public restraint on the topic was tactical rather than substantive.
Rutte's planned Washington visit will be the first face-to-face meeting between the NATO chief and Trump since the Iran war began. Rutte has managed to stay on relatively good terms with Trump by refraining from public criticism and has publicly defended the US military campaign in Iran, saying it would "make the whole world safer." His European counterparts have privately criticised that approach.
A bipartisan group of US lawmakers introduced the US-Greece Defense Cooperation Advancement Act on 2 April, a bill that would extend International Military Education and Training support for Greece for five years. As Bosphorus News reported, Representatives Chris Pappas, Gus Bilirakis, Dina Titus and Nicole Malliotakis described Greece as "a steadfast democratic ally" and "a pillar of stability in the Eastern Mediterranean." The bill still requires passage through Congress and no timeline for a vote has been set. Its introduction points to Washington's continued effort to consolidate security partnerships in a region where alliance cohesion is under strain.
Air and Missile Defence
Iran fired approximately 10 ballistic missiles at central Israel on the evening of 1 April, the first night of Passover, in the largest salvo since the early days of the war. One missile carried a cluster warhead, dispersing bomblets over Bnei Brak and Rosh HaAyin. Israeli rescue services reported a 12-year-old and two 7-month-olds lightly injured from shattered glass. Sirens continued sounding into 2 April as further waves targeted central and northern Israel and the Jerusalem area. Hezbollah fired rockets from Lebanon simultaneously, triggering alerts near Haifa and the Golan Heights.
The Israeli Air Force conducted an overnight wave on 1 April targeting 50 sites across Iran, dropping some 140 bombs on ballistic missile launchers and production facilities. Separately, the IDF announced the killing of Mahdi Vafaei, head of the Engineering Branch of the Quds Force's Lebanon Corps, in a strike in Iran's Mahallat area. Vafaei was described as having directed Hezbollah's underground tunnel infrastructure in Lebanon and Syria over 20 years. His death followed the killing of Hezbollah's southern front commander Haj Youssef Ismail Hashem in Beirut on 1 April.
Maritime Security
The virtual Hormuz summit co-hosted by British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper took place on 2 April, bringing together representatives of 35 countries. The meeting focused on diplomatic and political measures to restore freedom of navigation, with military planning sessions to follow separately. Starmer has acknowledged the reopening will not happen automatically when fighting stops.
Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told Bloomberg on 2 April that the war appears to have achieved its initial objectives of degrading Iran's nuclear and missile capabilities. He questioned what objectives remain and what conditions would end the conflict.
The 6 April deadline Trump set for Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face strikes on energy infrastructure remains in effect. Iran's IRGC declared on 1 April that the strait is "fully and decisively" under Iranian control. No tankers transited the waterway on 1 April, though two bulk carriers did so. The World Bank's managing director Paschal Donohoe described his institution as "extremely concerned" about the war's impact on inflation, jobs and food security.
Israel-Lebanon Front
Lebanon's Health Ministry reported 50 people killed and 185 wounded in Israeli strikes in the 24 hours ending 2 April. The death toll since 2 March now stands at 1,318, with 3,935 wounded. Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said on 2 April that his country had "become a victim of a war whose outcome and end date no one can predict" and called for redoubled political and diplomatic efforts. The displaced now number more than one million.
Several Hezbollah fighters surrendered to Israeli forces in the past 24 hours, IDF sources said, and were transferred for interrogation. Sources described "low morale" among captured fighters, most from Beirut. IDF ground operations continued in the south, with the 146th Division dismantling more than 180 Hezbollah infrastructure sites. Defence Minister Israel Katz warned Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem that he would not live to see the "very heavy price" his organisation would pay for Passover attacks.
***The content of the specific Türkiye-related intelligence bulletins in the EYP archive has not yet been reported in detail by Greek or international media. The Bosphorus News report draws on EYP's official statement and the director's public remarks. Trump's private Easter lunch remarks were recorded without White House authorisation and removed after publication; their authenticity has not been formally disputed by the White House.
Sources: Reuters, AP, CNN, NPR, PBS, Al Jazeera, Times of Israel, CBS News, NBC News, CNBC, The Telegraph, FDD, Drop Site News, EYP, Bosphorus News.
For yesterday's brief: